The Executive Board
- 1966 Purdue University BS IM/ME
- 1969 SIUe MBA
- 2009-2011 Fuller Theological Seminary: Classes in Systematic Theology, Church History
- 2011 SIUe Elected to Business Hall of Fame
- 2020 SIUe Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters
- 1966-1970…Engineering positions with Owens-Illinois and Emerson Electric (Electronics and Space).
- 1970-1988…Tubular Steel. Product Manager, Marketing Manager, VP Operations and others leading to President/CEO.
- 1984-1988…Tubular had service centers throughout the USA and international buying office in 5 countries.
- 1988-Present…Merger and Acquisitions Business…Triac Partners, Riverside Partners and Eagle Investments (which I started in 2002).
- In-depth analysis of companies that were potential acquisitions: market and products, company management and financial strength, management, equipment and facilities, etc. and developing a future business model for that business, then negotiating the price and financing.
- Acquired over 10 businesses in the medical and high-tech manufacturing area. Purchase prices were from $25 million to over $200 million. Started companies in 5 different countries to expand existing companies.
- Served on the board of a number of companies, and not-for-profit organizations including York Industries, Research Biochemicals, EntraCare Medical Devices, Life 365 Medical software, Tumbleweed center for Youth Development, and others. As a Board member I developed and approved business strategy, hired exec teams, required annual detailed business plans and quarterly reports, etc. Held management accountable for results.
- 2016-Present…Started and funded The Lawrence Institute, a 501(c)(3), to help other not-for-profits with strategy, developing boards, exec teams and annual plans. Focused primarily on organizations that have relatively short term programs that make a permanent difference in people’s lives such as Golf Fore Africa that drills water wells in Zambia. In 2019 they provided water to 60,000 people.
- 2020…. Most of the companies that were acquired have been sold except for Thin Metal Parts (a high tech manufacturer serving the optical, acoustics, medical, automation, and space industries).
Also have current minority investments in early stage medical related companies, and multi-family housing and storage industries.
Have held a number of leadership positions in churches including Elder, Chair of Adult Studies, Stewardship Chair, and Church Council.
Paula J. Adkins
Interim Chief Executive Officer – Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development
Paula J. Adkins
An experienced leader with expertise to achieve vision and mission.
- University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, Master of Business Administration, 1992
- DePaul University, Chicago, IL, Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration, 1989
- Leadership – Provided vision, communication, organization, and motivation for new beginnings, working with employees, consultants, partners, donors, and volunteers.
- Strategic Planning – Worked with large and small organizations to define direction, achievable goals, synergies, and methodologies for growth while managing risk.
- Marketing and Development – Managed branding, advertising, and messaging to create identity, establishing strong donor relationships with new and former donors.
- Customer Service – Developed and managed multi-location, large and small organizations to provide training, automation, and structure to reduce costs and improve customer retention.
- Administration – Prepared budgets, managed financial performance, and developed IT systems and networks to support organizational functions.
- International – Worked in twenty-three countries, developing business plans with multi-partner teams, then hiring, training, and managing the local teams to implement those plans.
- Community Service – Served on academic and non-profit boards of many organizations.
Held key executive and leadership positions for Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development, General Dynamics, MTel Corporation, Sprint, Kelley Services, and several smaller organizations.
Physical Therapist, Retired
- Clinical therapist in private practice and Consultant;Colorado Springs, CO serving school systems and Private patients (1997 – 2008)
- National workshop facilitator on night-time electrical stimulation for children with neuromotor disability (1997 – 2000)
- Phoenix Assistance League (2011 – present)
- Tumbleweed Center for Youth (2012- 2015)
- Mountain View Presbyterian Church (2014 – present)
Special needs summer camps
- Florence Crittendon Foster Care Home (2016 – present)
Programs and individual mentor